Today I’m sharing with you how to create your own WordPress blog for very little money. I started blogging when I was pregnant with my first child over a decade ago, and I wanted to find a way to make money from home. At the time, I was a corporate attorney for a big law firm in Los Angeles. Even though I was making a great living, I longed to have the money and freedom to stay home full-time with my daughter.
I’m happy to say that I’ve been home now with my daughter (and the four more kids I’ve had after her) for over a decade, and I’ve made a great living being a stay at home mom! I started my profitable homeschooling blog, UrthMama.com, back in 2005, and I’ve been blogging ever since. Blogging transformed my life, and I love doing it.
Below I’m including the discounted pricing with Bluehost so you can start a blog very inexpensively. If you sign up through my link, you’ll get a free blog domain and free SSL is also included. This link is limited time – so if you’re interested in doing this, don’t wait!
Click here to start a blog on WordPress, then use the tutorial below for the easy instructions.
If you’re looking to start a WordPress blog for cheap, then choosing Bluehost for your hosting needs is a great option. Bluehost is a fantastic web host and I’ve a great experience with them and I respect their company. They’re super reliable, easy to use, and their customer support is top-notch.
Blogging has been amazing for both myself and my family. I am able to work from home and homeschool my children. I have a flexible schedule to work around my kids’ naptimes, and we can travel as a family whenever we want. I love my life, and blogging has made it easy for me to step away from the corporate world while still having the creative outlet to do what I love.
I know that it may seem intimidating at first, but anybody can make money with a blog – it’s very easy and simple once you get it set up. The important thing is to keep your costs down at first, and that’s why finding a good hosting provider (like Bluehost) is really important. I’ve seen hosting fees that were ten to twenty times that!
Bluehost is a reliable and trustworthy hosting company in 2018 and starting a blog through them is only $3.95/month through my link. This is less than a cup of coffee at Starbucks! Included in that is a free domain (a $15 value).
I recommend signing up for the 12 month hosting plan because it can save you so much money and hassle in the long run. The best deal is the 36 month plan, but you might not want to commit to that long if you’re just starting out. Then again, if you want to get the best value overall, then that might be the best option for you.
You might be tempted to start a slightly cheaper blog on Blogger, and just see what happens – but let me tell ya, that is not a good idea. I actually started on Blogger way back in 2005 and it was a nightmare transferring everything to WordPress when I got serious about making money off my blog. If I could do it all over again, I would definitely start on WordPress and use Bluehost from the beginning.
In this day and age, nobody takes a free Blogger blog seriously. Not advertisers, sponsors…or even readers.
If you want to make money, grow your readership, or have a business, it is a very small investment to pay for hosting. It is extremely inexpensive to go through Bluehost, and they provide you with a free domain. Once you have hosting set up, you can run your own advertisements, affiliate links, capture email addresses for your newsletter list – and a million other things that will grow your blog quickly. It’s so much harder to make any kind of money on Blogger – trust me, I know! Advertising partners won’t take you seriously, and it reflects poorly on your site to not have a hosted WordPress site set up by a company like Bluehost.
My blog took off after I changed to self-hosted WordPress. I really can’t emphasize this enough.
As far as hosting companies go, there are a bunch of reasons why you might want to go with Bluehost for your WordPress blog.
- Bluehost makes it easy to set up a WordPress blog. Their technical support is excellent if you have any questions.
- They are the most affordable hosting company I’ve found. It’s definitely the best value I could find in my extensive research.
- You get a FREE blog domain.
- WordPress through Bluehost is also FREE.
- Bluehost offers a guarantee if you change your mind and don’t like it.
Are you still interested in setting up your blog and starting to make money? If so, click here to start the process. Then go through the easy steps below. If you have any questions, you can always email me. I love helping!
Step One: Sign up for Hosting
Head over to Bluehost to sign up and buy hosting for your blog – I would go with the Basic Plan to start. Ideally, you’ll sign up for at least a year. You want to give yourself enough time to create content and get up and running without having to worry about anything hosting related.
Step Two: Register Domain Name
Once there, you can also register your domain name (for FREE with a 12 month plan).
Pick a domain name that is easy to remember and not too long. Also, pick one that is pretty easy to spell, too! When I started urthmama.com, I thought it was so clever. But then I realized that a lot of people would type in earthmama into the search bar. So confusing. Doh! Don’t make that mistake!
Your domain is free with Bluehost as long as you sign up for at least 12 months of hosting. This is a great way to save money, since the monthly hosting is so cheap. Plus, you can get your domain and hosting all in one easy set-up.
If you already have a domain name you purchased elsewhere that you want to use, you can enter that in.
Bluehost will walk you through setting up a password and making your payment.
Step Three: Connect your domain and your hosting.
Note: You can skip Step Three if you get your domain directly through Bluehost.
If you buy your domain through GoDaddy (for example), you will need to connect your domain to your hosting account. GoDaddy has a full support page for setting nameservers for your domain names. Here is what they say:
“When you register a domain name with us, we set it up on our parked nameservers so a temporary page displays when visitors go to your website. After you determine which hosting provider to use, you can change your domain name’s nameservers to remove the parked page and activate your domain name.”
How to modify your DNS Nameservers when you’re using Go Daddy for your domain and Bluehost for your hosting:
- Log into the GoDaddy.com Account Manager.
- Select Manage Domains from the Domain Names drop-down menu or the Manage Your Account list.
- Select the domain name you want to modify using the check-boxes and then click Set Name Servers.
- Enter your updated name server information in the spaces provided under the blue Name Servers heading on the right side of your page and click Save Changes at the bottom. Your entries should look like this: ns1.bluehost.com; ns2.bluehost.com.
- You will then need to add the domain you bought (through GoDaddy or other provider) as an add-on domain to your Bluehost web hosting. You can do this by clicking on “Domains” when logged into your Bluehost web hosting account and then clicking on “assign.”
Step Four: Install WordPress on Bluehost.
After you create your password in your hosting account, the Bluehost tutorial guides you through exactly what you need to do to get your blog up and running.
First, you’ll pick your Theme. It doesn’t matter which one you pick, because you can change it later. I personally like a theme with content in the middle and a sidebar on the right hand side, but you might prefer something different.
Next, click on “Start Building.”
Then, you can choose “Business” or “Personal” – either one is fine. Or, you can click “I don’t need help” – and it will take you out of the tutorial.
Step Five: Start Writing
Yay! You’re done with the technical stuff! You’re ready to start writing killer content that your readers and future advertisers will love.
Here are a few tips on how to navigate WordPress:
- You can add and create new posts by clicking on “Posts” on the left-hand side when you are logged in.
- If you want to add an image, click on “Media” on the left-hand side.
- You can go to “Appearance,” then “Widgets” in order to add items to your sidebar, footer, and so on.
- If you are looking for a way to send newsletters or emails to your readers (which I highly advise starting that right away), I recommend Convertkit.
- If you are looking into the actual design of your blog, Genesis is currently the most flexible and popular. Genesis is used on my blog, and I love it. Or, there are free themes through WordPress you can use too. Just go to “Appearance” on the left-hand side when you are logged into your WordPress website and click on: Themes. Then, activate whichever one you are interested in testing out. By doing this, you can start designing your website easily.
- Another option would be to buy a Pre-Made blog theme, like one from Lindsey at Pretty Darn Cute Designs. She designs great pre-made templates for just $49.
Okay, that’s it for today! Hopefully this helped – and I can’t wait to read your blog. 🙂
Do you have a blog? Do you use Bluehost for your blogging? Share your blogging tips, as well! Hope you enjoyed my tutorial on how to start a WordPress blog easily and cheaply. 🙂